- This event has passed.
Carnegie Hall Presents Sir András Schiff, Piano
April 5, 2018 | 8:00 pm
One event on April 5, 2018 at 8:00pm
The fantasy, sonata, and suite are forms that inspired tremendous creativity in composers from Bach to Brahms. Mendelssohn’s Fantasia in F-sharp Minor unfolds in three movements, each imbued with simple, graceful themes. There’s nothing particularly English about Bach’s Suite No. 6, but it captivates with its balance of pulsing energy and tenderness. Brahms’s miniatures, particularly his fantasies, are quintessentially Romantic character pieces that evoke powerful moods with economy and great beauty.
Sir András Schiff, Piano
Program for Tuesday, April 3
- MENDELSSOHN Fantasia in F-sharp Minor, Op. 28
- BEETHOVEN Piano Sonata No. 24 in F-sharp Major, Op. 78
- BRAHMS Klavierstücke, Op. 76
- BRAHMS Seven Fantasies, Op. 116
- BACH English Suite No. 6 in D Minor
Program for Thursday, April 5
- SCHUMANN Variations on an Original Theme, WoO 24
- BRAHMS Three Intermezzos, Op. 117
- MOZART Rondo in A Minor, K. 511
- BRAHMS Klavierstücke, Op. 118
- BACH Prelude and Fugue in B Minor from The Well-Tempered Clavier, Book I
- BRAHMS Klavierstücke, Op. 119
- BEETHOVEN Piano Sonata No. 26 in E-flat Major, Op. 81a, “Les adieux”
The printed program will last approximately two hours, including one 20-minute intermission.