St. Michael’s Cemetery
St. Michael's Cemetery is situated in the borough of Queens in New York City. Established in 1852, St. Michael's is one of the oldest religious, nonprofit cemeteries in the New York City metropolitan area which is open to people of all faiths. It is owned and operated by St. Michael's Church, an Episcopal congregation located on the Upper West Side of Manhattan. The original property for St. Michael's Cemetery was purchased in 1852 by the Rev. Thomas McClure Peters and occupied seven acres. Over the years St. Michael's gradually acquired additional land to its present size of approximately eighty-eight acres. Because it was Dr. Peters' intention to provide a final dignified resting place for the poor who could not otherwise afford it, areas within the cemetery were assigned to other free churches and institutions of New York City. These areas are still held for the institutions they were assigned.As a service to its diverse constituency, St. Michael's continues to this day provide burial space for individuals and families from all classes, religions and ethnicities. St. Michael's reflects the demographic and historical trends of New York City. Walking through the older sections of the cemetery, you will find burials representing the 19th and early 20th century immigrants. In the late 1980's St. Michael's began building community mausoleums in order to more efficiently utilize the remaining unoccupied space and offer attractive, affordable final resting places.