Effective HIV therapy depends on medication adherence. That means taking your medication at the same time each day. Strict adherence to one’s HIV regimen will reduce the risk of HIV transmission and treatment failure due to drug resistance. Medication nonadherence in the US costs more than $100 billion annually. It doesn’t make sense to gamble with one’s health trying to remember when to take your prescription. The newest tech to help LGBTQ patients manage their medication regimens and improve their prescription adherence is medication adherence apps.
The Top-Ranked Pill Reminder App in the World
The intuitive Medisafe Pill Reminder app removes the stress associated with remembering to take medications on time. This prescription adherence app touts itself as the fastest, most secure and most accurate helpmate on the market. It reminds when it’s time to take a medication while also keeping track of allthe medications you might be taking.
The Medisafe app is currently the top-ranked pill reminder app in the world with an estimated 5 million-plus registered users. The app has a 4.7 out of 5-star rating by more than 200,000 reviewers. In 2016, Medisafe received awards as the “Most Innovative Healthcare & Life Sciences Technology” and “Best UX” from the Massachusetts Innovation and Technology Exchange (MITX). MITX Award winners are meant to represent the best innovations in New England.
In 2017, the Journal of Medical Internet Research (JMIR) published a study by a research team that compared medication adherence apps by assessing their features, functionality, and health literacy of the 100 highest-ranking adherence apps. After analyzing the data, the research team ranked Medisafe the best app for medication management, connectivity, general features and health literacy.More Content from Metrosource
- How to Be a Gay Daddy 101 – Part 3: What Does a Daddy Do With a Boy?
- These Are 10 Things You Learn From Being a Gay Stripper
- How To Be a Gay Daddy 101 – Part 2: Finding the Right (Adult) Boy for You
10 Reasons Medisafe is a lifesaver
- Medication Reminders—After adding or importing all your medications and vitamins, you’ll receive personalized reminders for each medication and/or vitamin. The feature supports even complicated medicine dosing schedules.
- Interaction Checker—Contains over 30,000 severe drug interaction warnings, preventing harmful drug interactions that your doctor or pharmacist might possibly overlook. This can be critically important for patients with more than one physician.
- Caregiver Support—If you list your caregiver as a Medifriend, the app will send them a notification should you accidentally miss a dose/medication.
- Dependents—Have family members taking medications? With Medisafe, you can also manage all your family members’ medications from one convenient app using the Dependents feature.
- Vital Tracking—This Medisafe feature also keeps you on top of your blood pressure, weight and glucose levels.
- Adherence Reports—Create empowering reports that show you weekly and monthly medication adherence to create a picture over time.
- Notification Ringtone Library—Select your favorite ringtone reminder from the app library, or add your own. Examples include “Star Wars”, “Morgan Freeman”, “Gandalf”, and even “Finding Nemo’s” Dory.
- Diary—Document symptoms, health events, or other important medical information to later share with your doctor.
- Prescription Refill Reminders—Ever go to your medicine cabinet only to discover that you’ve run out of medication? The Prescription Refill reminder notifies you well in advance so that you never run out.
- Coupons—Keeping a stock of lifesaving prescription drugs can be costly. With the Medisafe app, you can receive budget-saving coupons and discount cards accepted by many U.S. drug stores including CVS, Rite-Aid and Walgreens.
Other App Features and Supported Devices
Other app features include a “weekend mode,” schedule of appointments, a store of doctor’s information, pharmacist tip videos, and the extras don’t end there. Most of the Medisafe Pill and Medication Tracker features are available cost-free. However, access to all of the app’s features requires a $4.00 per month or $39.99 per year subscription. Medisafe is also compliant with HIPAA regulations in order to safeguard your medical information.
The Medisafe app can be used on your smartphone, tablet and smartwatches including Apple Watch, LG Style, LG Sport, LG G, Moto 360 (both first and second generation), Moto 360 Sport, Samsung Gear Live, Huawei Watch, ASUS ZenWatch 2 and others). The app is available in the Google Play and Apple app stores or online at Medisafeapp.com.
Want Metrosource LGBTQ content notifications? Sign up for MetroEspresso.
Last modified: August 19, 2019