Merchant’s House Museum
Through public programs and exhibitions, restoration of its landmark building, and conservation of its original collections, the Museum educates the public about the domestic life of a wealthy merchant family and their four Irish servants, 1835-1865, when the mercantile seaport of New York City emerged as a growing metropolis and the commercial emporium of America.
The Building: Manhattan’s First Landmark
Considered one of the finest surviving examples of domestic architecture from the period, the 1832 late-Federal and Greek Revival Merchant’s House is a designated landmark on the federal, state, and city level.
In New York City, it was the first building designated in the borough of Manhattan following the passing of the Landmarks Preservation law in April 1965. It is one of only 120 interior landmarks in the City, and one of only 6 residences. In 1966, the Merchant’s House was recognized as a National Historic Landmark (one of only 2,400) and listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1977.
It is the only historic house museum in the Greenwich Village/Soho/NoHo neighborhoods and celebrated 75 years as a museum in 2011.